At this time of year after a long cold winter clients often ask if they need to buy a new bed.
They ask this as they often wake up feeling stiff in the back or the neck and assume the bed is a large factor in this.
More often than not we say No.
Unless you are sleeping in a hammock or a super soft bed with no support, often the bed is not the problem. Its you. Sorry –it’s a sign your body is not happy.
If your body is not happy during the day, from prolonged work postures, lots of sitting, driving etc etc it often “guards” to protect you with muscle tightness and stiffness.
This “guarding”often worsens when we stop moving at night. So we get out of bed and feel like everything is “seized up” And the old bed gets the blame.
Please note the exercises and advice provided is of a general nature and should not be used as personal, professional advice. If symptoms persist we encourage you to see your GP or preferred health care provider.
To be sure if its your body or the bed that needs help, try this:
1. Sleep in another bed for 2-3 nights and see how you feel in the morning. No different ? Still stiff ?…. Its your body that’s not happy.
2. Loosen your body up a bit. Try the simple stretching exercises demonstrated on the video BEFORE you go to bed each night. It will only take 2-3 minutes.
Try this every night for a week…except Saturday…..well its Saturday night!! Feel better less stiff in the morning? ……..its your body that’s not happy.
3. Tried step 1 and 2 still stiff in the morning?
Book in to see one of our Physiotherapists to have your body fully assessed and we will help make your body happy again. Ph (08) 8556 4416
4. If we can’t help you we will send you to see someone who can.
5. As the last resort we may suggest you >>> buy a new bed !!